Who is WhenU?
When free software or content is made available to consumers in an ad-supported bundle, most people will be fine with the trade-off – as long as they are not being tricked, tracked or taken advantage of. There is a small but vocal and passionate minority of Internet users that believes anything bundled with ad-serving software – even an offering as benign, transparent and privacy-protecting as WhenU's – is intrinsically evil.
During the last year, WhenU and it's products have been acknowledged as the industry leader in "best practices."
- WhenU installs without trickery (clear notice and consent)
- WhenU doesn't spy on people with cookies or harvest behavioral data
- WhenU doesn't bury people in a ton of irrelevant, unstoppable pop-ups
- WhenU doesn't significantly impact computer performance
- WhenU helps people save money with highly relevant offers
- It can be uninstalled easily using Windows' Add/Remove
For more information about WhenU, check out their website at WhenU.com.
- Overview of WhenU's Software, Practices and Policies
- WhenU Privacy Center
- WhenU Customer support
- WhenU in the news:
October 11, 2005 - iMedia Connection
September 23, 2005 - VitalSecurity.org
September 22, 2005 – ZDNet
September 22, 2005 - SpywareDaily.com
September 20, 2005 - ZDNet Spyware Confidential
September 7, 2005 – eWeek
September 7, 2005 - Seattle Post-Intellegencer
August 16, 2005 - Washington Post